Welcome to my June edition of the monthly #IWSG [Insecure Writers Support Group.]
When I think of my blog friends as I am doing a lot of today, this group is right up there as one of my favorites. As the name implies the people in this group are among the most supportive, the most informative and so friendly. If you are feeling a bit insecure with your writing or if you have some words of support to share please join us:
I am feeling a bit reflective today because this is my 400th blog post! I started blogging a year before my first book Bristol boyz Stomp was released. I have learned so much since writing my first post and I am looking forward to continuing to learning more.
I am still trying to catch up and meet some of my writing goals. I fell way behind due to two significant losses in my life. The good news is I have been waking up early, like 5 a.m. even on my days off, swearing I hear someone whispering in my ear to get up and write.
Because I am feeling secure in my writing this month I thought I would share with you some of the things that have worked, and not worked for me when it comes to blogging. I ask you to share anything that has worked or definitely not worked for you and your blog.
- The single biggest lesson I have learned in blogging and in life is that Kindness is the Key. If you need page views, go view pages, if you need comments go leave comments, if you need support go support another blogger and so on.
- As a writer I know in order to continue to improve my writing, the best thing I can do for myself and my craft is to read voraciously. Since I have committed to visiting, reading and commenting on at least 5 blog posts a day, my weekly word count has improved drastically. My blog stats have also improved.
- Key Words matter! I think this finally sunk in with me during the A-Z Challenge this year. I spent a lot of time choosing the key words for each post and it sure did pay off. Most of my posts were ranked in the top 5 on Google, 4 of them reaching #1.
- Coming from a newspaper background I love doing interviews. Sadly the interview posts I have done received the least comments, most of the time between 0-3, the least shares and the least page views. I want to support fellow writers and continue doing interviews. I need to come up with a fresh version. Any suggestions??
- Contests have not worked for me either. They don’t work on my Facebook page or on my blog.
- My writers group (IRL) friend Kelly Deeny: http://www.kellydeeny.com believes that all creative people can learn from one another [she has a great post up now for improving your writing.] I agree with her and decided to start a feature on my blog that will feature reviewing songwriters and new musicians. Since tweeting this idea about a month ago the music has been filling my inbox. My husband is enjoying the listening.
- Being consistent is another key. When it comes to consistency I struggle but I am determined to improve this over the summer.
I am looking forward to hearing your suggestions. Happy June and I wish you all sunshine and large word counts, this month!
I would love to hang out with you here too: